A collection of books from the library of the biochemist Carl Neuberg (1877-1956). In 2013 the Central and Regional Library of Berlin (Zentral- und Landesbibliothek Berlin, ZLB) restituted 40 volumes (representing 39 titles) from Carl Neuberg’s former library as part of their search for books looted and expropriated by Nazis (NS-Raubgutforschung) among their collections. The books were returned to the granddaughters of Carl Neuberg who decided to transfer them to the library of the Leo Baeck Institute in New York.
The books are mainly scientific literature with provenance marks such as autographs, name- and address stamps, annotations or dedications. When Neuberg fled in 1939 to the United States his abandoned property was packed in crates and stored, including his library. A part of it was presumably lost as a result of war damage; another part of Neuberg’s possessions was looted by the Gestapo in 1941 and sold in 1944 at a public auction. It is, however, uncertain exactly when the books entered into the possession of the Berliner Stadtbibliothek, incorporated into the ZLB in 1995; what is certain is that many of them appear in accession journals of 1945-1946, listed as “gifts.” The researchers from the NS-Raubgutforschung Division of the ZLB postulate that Neuberg’s books entered the holdings of the Berliner Stadtbibliothek in 1943 as part of an acquisition of 40000 books from the Berliner Pfandleihanstalt (Municipal Pawn Shop) which were looted from deported Jews, although the evidence is insufficient to confirm this matter.
Visit the website of the ZLB-NS-Raubgutforschung (Central and Regional Library of Berlin, Division for Looted Books)