- 6PM – Exhibition open for viewing in the Katherine and Clifford H. Goldsmith Gallery at the Center for Jewish History
- 7PM – Harold James (Princeton University) on “Nazi Looting and its Aftermath”, followed by a panel discussion with the curators
- 8PM – Reception
The exhibition Stolen Heart explores the critical issue of the state-sponsored “Aryanization” and plundering of Berlin’s central district, Mitte, and the murder of many of its former property owners. Join us for a reception, viewing of the exhibition, and conversation with the curators and representatives of the families whose histories the exhibit documents. Economic historian Harold James (Princeton) will discuss the methods, impact, and aftermath of the Nazi expropriation of Jews.
The exhibit tracks the rise of Jewish business and property owners in Berlin from the gradual integration of Jews into city life in the 19th century to the crucial economic, cultural, scientific, and philanthropic contributions they made until the 1930s. Nearly a quarter of the 1,200 properties in Mitte were owned by Jews before World War II. The story of five families in the period spanning before, during and after World War II are used to represent the totality of Jewish properties that were stolen.
Stolen Heart tells each family’s story through the lens of its property, documenting its original use and its confiscation by the Third Reich. The five families’ properties were used by the Nazis for various war-related purposes, such as the production of the Yellow Star of David, storage for “degenerate art” and a testing facility for gassing and euthanasia methods. The exhibit also traces the fates of the families and their descendents after the war. Unfortunately, to this day, only five percent of all Jewish owners and their descendants have received restitution.
Stolen Heart was adapted from the German exhibition, “Geraubte Mitte: Die Arisierung des jüdischen Grundeigentums im Berliner Stadtkern 1933 – 1945“, which opened at the Berlin Stadtmuseum in September 2013. The Sidney E. Frank Foundation provided major support for the adaptation and realization of the exhibit in New York.
Made possible by generous support from the Sidney E. Frank Foundation.