Translation: When in future days our grandchildren will raise this stone, may the pillars of this sacred building still be unshaken, and Jewish life blossom to God’s delight, so the sad events recorded in this commemoration scroll will be received with utter bewilderment that will lead to an understanding for the reasons of building this new house of God. Then our trials and tribulations will have accomplished their one and only mission. For centuries Frankfurt, one of the oldest Jewish communities on German soil, was a shining example of genuine religious striving and activities. Torah and Avodah (love), Jewish scholarship and active fulfillment of its tenets were the guiding principles, the intellectual and spiritual treasures to which our fathers were fervently dedicated. No matter how fierce the winds would blow over their heads, how dark the days of their life on earth might have seemed, in their abodes the light of God was shining. Religion was their calling, the fear of God their sustenance, faith their treasure, clinging to God their happiness, and thus in joyful dedication they were a shining example for their sister congregations. Unfortunately, a sad turn of events has taken place. During the last 30 to 40 years a spirit of heresy has spread. which led the young generation astray from the kind of holiness their fathers had lived and died for. As if Jewish law were valid only in times of distress, the sacred ties of religion were loosened as soon as the heavy burden began to lift with God’s mercy. Assuming there to be a contradiction between Judaism and modern education, everyone rushed out to throw off the adornments of Choreb in order to move freely in newly open circles. From individual cases the spirit of heresy also took root in our community life and took over our synagogues, schools, and other religious institutions. [...]
Only in the year 1850/5610, the Senate’s decree allowed us to satisfy our religious desires according to the rules of our conscience. Only eleven men were at the forefront of those who started the holy work, and in 1852/5612 there were enough others to rebuild our fathers’ sanctuary. […] Today, on September 30, 1852, we are privileged to install the right rabbi according to our religious principles, namely Sir Samson Raphael Hirsch from Hamburg… The House of Rothschild covered seven tenth of the costs for building this house, including a new women’s bath, and three tenth were provided by our members. […] Amen.
Signed by Samson Raphael Hirsch and ten others.
Reproductions and Permissions
We welcome fair use of this content. Please credit the Leo Baeck Institute in your citation. For usage policies and to request higher resolution images, see Reproductions and Permissions.
[Cornerstone document] / Congregation "Israelitische Religionsgemeinschaft", Frankfurt a.M., Leo Baeck Institute, 62.0.