When the artist Hugo Steiner-Prag fled Nazi-Germany in 1933, he returned to his native Prague and established a private school for book arts and graphic design, called the Officina Pragensis.
The son of a bookseller, Hugo Steiner-Prag attended the Academy of Arts in Prague from 1898 and continued his education at the Munich Art Academy from 1901-1903, where he was a student of Peter Halm and Franz von Stuck. In 1905, he converted from Judaism to Catholicism and became a German citizen in 1907, and during this time he worked at the Barmer Kunstgewerbeschule, where he was appointed to the Royal Academy of Graphic Arts and Printing Arts in Leipzig, and where he also held a chair since 1910. He was also artistic director of the Propylaea publishing house in Berlin. Steiner-Prag was known for his illustrations of Lenau poems, Andersen's fairy tales, and Hoffmann's "The Devil's Elixirs". In 1915, he illustrated Gustav Meyrink's novel "Der Golem". He was president of the International Book Exhibition in Leipzig in 1919 and 1927 and organized the book departments of German exhibitions in Barcelona, Lyon, Paris, Pittsburgh, and New York. He emigrated to Sweden in 1939 and then to the United States in 1941.
Reproductions and Permissions
We welcome fair use of this content. Please credit the Leo Baeck Institute in your citation. For usage policies and to request higher resolution images, see Reproductions and Permissions.
Steiner-Prag, Hugo: Officina Pragensis : Opus Primum – Alt-Prag, Leo Baeck Institute, 78.765.