The Leo Baeck Institute, located at 15 West 16th Street New York, NY is seeking a part-time assistant who will work in both the archive and library departments. This is a six-month temporary position, with the possibility of extension.
The Leo Baeck Institute – New York | Berlin is a research library and archive focused on the history of German-speaking Jews. Its extensive library, archival, and art collections comprise one of the most significant repositories of primary source material and scholarship on the centuries of Jewish life in Central Europe before the Holocaust.
LBI is committed to preserving and expanding access to this rich body of material, and it has digitized millions of pages of documents, books, and artworks from its collections—from rare Renaissance-era books to the personal correspondence of luminaries and ordinary people alike. LBI also promotes the study and understanding of German-Jewish history through its public programs, exhibitions, and support for scholars.
- Shelving and shifting library books and archival boxes
- Paging research materials for the Reading Room
- Creating and updating bibliographic records in Aleph Integrated Library System
- Physical processing of library materials (barcoding, labels, stamping, etc.)
- Inventorying and rehousing new archival donations
- Answering basic reference and reproduction requests from outside researchers
- Working on various special projects, as assigned
- 6-12 hours per week
- Hourly rate of $22.00
- Enrolled in an ALA-accredited MLS/MLIS program
- Interest in historical collections
- Fast learner
- Flexible, detail-oriented, and accurate
- Ability to lift archival boxes up to 30 pounds, some standing and bending required
- Basic knowledge of German
- Experience with Aleph and OCLC Connexion
Please send your resume to Lauren Paustian.