- Montag, 8. April 2019, 19:00–21:00
- The Jewish Museum of Florida – Florida International University (map)
301 Washington Ave.
Miami Beach, FL 33139
- Mitglieder von LBI/CJH/Partnerorganisationen, Studierende, Senioren: Free
What if German had become the language of the USA as it very nearly did?
The effect of the western Haskalah was to make German, not Yiddish or Hebrew, the language of the Jews of German speaking countries. Later, German was close to becoming the language of the Jews of Palestine, and even closer to becoming the language of the United States of America. What would this have done for the notion of Jewish unity? Professor Tudor Parfitt of Florida Internation University will give a lecture on this topic followed by a panel discussion:
- The Honorable Annette Klein, Consul General of the Federal Republic of Germany in Miami
- Professor Tudor Parfitt, Distinguished University Professor, Florida International University
- Dr. William H. Weitzer, Executive Director, The Leo Baeck Institute – New York | Berlin
Light refreshments to be served
This event is part of the Year of German-American Friendship, initiated by the German Federal Foreign Office and the Goethe-Institut, and supported by the Federation of German Industries (BDI).